Chemical Straightening (protein treatment): Pros & Cons
Protein straightening is a very popular salon treatment. It leaves the hair smooth, strong and shiny by nourishing it with vital substances. Specialists use specific products that include both potent and nourishing components for straight, healthy and beautiful strands.
Chemical straightening is performed as follows:
- Hair is carefully combed with a few tooth comb and is washed with a keratin-based shampoo – the substance should be carefully rubbed into every strand to get the best result, then thoroughly rinsed out.
- Hair is combed again and left to dry naturally for a few minutes.
- The specialist applies the straightening composition on damp locks, then it is carefully rubbed into each strand throughout the full length of the hair and is left for 30-40 minutes.
- The stylist dries hair thoroughly with a hair dryer and irons each strand at the temperature of about 230 degrees to seal the keratin inside and smooth all of the hair scales carefully.
- To remove excess keratin, the hair is washed again and then dried with a hair dryer.
As a final result, the hair becomes perfectly flat and smooth from the roots and will shine admirably without any hair sprays. The effect can last for up to 4-6 months, and growing roots can be quickly and easily touched-up.
|Specialists providing professional chemical hair straightening may offer you the following:
|Despite obvious advantages, protein treatment tends to have some drawbacks as any procedure where chemicals are used:
Another important advantage of protein treatment is the long-term effect it has. You can forget about straightening for a few months! However, be sure to use the special keratin-based shampoo and conditioner, as this will allow you to save the beauty and accuracy of your hairstyle.
In addition, if you have very thick, frizzy hair, the effect of protein straightening may not be so effective and long-lasting as you may expect. However, this treatment technique has already proved its benefits, and therefore it is considered to be a good alternative to heating tools.