Girls are so capricious and fickle, they are always missing something. If you have straight hair, you want to curl it, if you have wavy strands – you will not settle until you straighten it. Therefore, I have three assistants, i.e. a blow dryer, a straightener and a curling iron. Today I want to tell you about the Remington S 5500 straightening iron. So, this is my review.
I have received this digital anti-static 1-inch ceramic flat iron in a cardboard box. It was completed with a wonderful felt cover. The cover is remarkable not only because it protects the device from external damage, but also because the back of the cover has special fasteners for the cord.
The design of the tool is simple and elegant; its body is matte, which is pleasant to touch and it is purple; I love this color! The cord length is 1.8 m, even more than I wanted.
The cord rotates around its axis, which makes it very convenient to use. You can forget about annoying bends and knots forever. There are 3 buttons on the side of the body; temperature increase (+) and decrease (-), and an on/off. I felt very content while using this straightener, as the straighteners metal plates have a ceramic coating.
The straightener has a digital display which shows the temperature, making it easier to work with the device. The heating temperatures range from 150˚ C to 230˚ C. The flat iron flashes during the heating process and I must say it does this very quickly, taking approximately 15 seconds to heat up.
When the device is heated, the display is lit in blue. If you have styled your hair and a little bit later you remember that the straightener is still on, don’t worry, after 60 minutes of operation it automatically switches off.
So, the pros! There are a lot of advantages! And I`m going to share them all with you. Let`s start.
- The straightener is very light – it`s like a toy!
- High-temperature setting range.
- Digital display with backlight showing the temperature.
- Long and thin plates, suitable for short hair, they are in close contact with each other without any gaps. And that`s not the half of the story. It is very easy to create volume at the roots, to make curls, straighten bangs and short hairs with these thin plates. Long plates make straightening even faster do not damage your hair.
- It is quickly heated (you have to spend 15 seconds to achieve the minimum temperature of 150 degrees – the manufacturer did not disappoint). It also cools down quite fast.
- It is extremely easy to smooth out hair that is not just slightly wavy.
- Automatic shut-off after 60 minutes of operation (special thanks to the developers for this function, I belong to the category of those who always think that they have forgotten to turn something off).
- The swivel cord rotates 360 degrees.
- There is a lock button for the plates, which I really liked; it`s very convenient and safe to heat them closed.
- Heat-resistant carrying case.
- Perfectly sliding plates, making your strands smooth and shiny.
- Floating plates. They provide a consistent pressure on the surface of the hair. They do not leave any curves and your styling looks perfect all day long.
- Price – it`s not very expensive.
- Heating buttons can be locked.
- Automatic voltage selection.
It`s enough about the technical specifications. Now some words about my personal impressions.
My hair is quite thick, not thin. I’m currently trying to grow out my natural hair color, so I haven’t dyed it for almost a year. It is wavy by nature, but every time after shampooing, I straighten or curl it (either using a blow dryer or by the means of a straightening or curling iron).
First About Straightening
I usually straighten my curls at the temperature of 180-190˚ C. A higher temperature, in my opinion may increase the risk of burning your hair. This instrument is really impressive, leaving no curves or kinks in my hair as most flat irons I have tried do.
But, of course, there`s more to come. Like some other straighteners, this one can also curl your hair. Based on my personal experience, I can say that it is necessary to use broad and flat strands for curling.
And as for the effect of the flat iron on my hair, it hasn’t become worse; actually quite the contrary. Despite the fact that I rarely use thermal protection products, masks, and balms. Yeah, I know that it`s wrong. I`ll try to improve. Moreover, when I use this straightener, my strands acquire an unreal shine, they are easy to brush, they are not all over the place and they are no longer fluffy.
In short, this model is perfect – it straightens quickly and efficiently and at the same time it does not burn your hair thanks to its advanced ceramic coating.
I almost forgot to say. You already know that the body has a display with blue backlight, which shows all the information. When you turn the appliance on, it automatically sets the temperature of 190 degrees. If necessary, you can easily adjust it to any other, whichever is suitable for your hair structure! Also, it’s super convenient to have the option you to turn on the lock to ensure you don’t remove the settings by accident. To do this, press the “-“ button and hold it until you see the image of the lock on the screen.
I wish you beautiful and healthy hair! And don’t forget to use thermal protection when using any hair straightener!
I recommend Remington S 5500. The modern advanced ceramic coating completely eliminates any possible hair breakage while sliding the plates pleasantly through my strands; followed by outstanding results!